Friday, August 23, 2013

The Big Move: Part 3

Our first night in Kansas was spent with my sister-in-law and her fiance, who live in the same apartment complex. The next morning we got our keys and did a quick walk-through of the place. I have never lived in an apartment complex quite like this - a clubhouse, a nice pool, an exercise room, beautiful grounds, a unit with full size laundry, a dishwasher, and a walk-in closet... and all for less than a shoebox studio in the worst San Francisco neighborhood would rent for.

A few of my fiancé's friends showed up to help unload the truck. The boys were quite pleased with themselves after lugging the larger pieces of furniture up three and a half flights of stairs, so my sister-in-law and I wound up moving more than our share of the boxes, which we were none too thrilled about, but on the upside, we got the best workout of our lives. We could hardly walk for the next two days!


It's a strange thing to see your whole life in boxes piled to the ceiling of a living room that doesn't quite feel like home; to unravel yards of bubble wrap protecting heirlooms and treasured possessions to be placed on shelves that don't quite feel like yours. I probably would have sobbed through the whole process if not for my ever so sweet sister-in-law who spent countless hours helping arrange and rearrange each room and closet until the whole space felt just right.

Our first night in the new apartment was a rough one. We didn't discover until late that evening that both the A/C and cold water weren't working. Too exhausted to process my disappointment, I didn't even bother changing out of my sweaty, filthy clothes before curling up on top of our clean bedding. Fortunately, the next morning I was able to reach someone in the front office who had a maintenance man at our apartment within a couple hours to fix both issues.