Friday, May 10, 2013

Celebrating the Moms in my Life

Mother's Day has always been a really special holiday for my family because it's flanked by my parents' anniversary and birthdays for my dad, sister, nephew, uncle and now my fiance as well. It's kind of our mid-year "Christmas;" a do-not-miss gathering of loved ones to lump all our festivities into one. 

I'm beyond blessed to have been surrounded by incredible, inspiring, beautiful women all my life. My mother is straight out of a story book - loving, gentle, always level headed, a grade school teacher and Sunday school teacher, endlessly dedicated to the happiness of two daughters, two grandsons and her husband of over thirty years. Then there's my dearly missed Grama Moe, my dad's mom, who was as spunky and fun as they come. I treasure childhood memories of dancing like crazy to "Great Balls of Fire" and playing card games on her bed while sipping Cherry 7-Up. I can't tell you how grateful I am to still be enjoying daily chats with Grams, my mom's mom, who has been my biggest champion. She's strong, independent, capable, and has always made me feel like I can be invincible too. Then there's my sister - if you've met her I guarantee you instantly just got a smile on your face when I mentioned her. You'd never know she's had a hard day in her life, because her energy lights up a room and her laughter is infectious. Her love for her family is endless and even when people wrong her she continues to look for the best in them and want good things for their lives.

I could go on and on and tell you about all of the girlfriends I have who constantly awe me as genuine women and mothers but I think you get it. I'm lucky to have so many mothers in my life to celebrate this Mother's Day, and I certainly hope that you take the time to recognize those in your life as well.

My sister, Grama Moe and I at Easter two years ago

My sister and I at Easter this year
Family photo, Thanksgiving 2011
My mom and Grams

Mom and I on Mother's Day last year